Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sharing love and kidneys, too

By YUEN MEIKENG
meikeng@thestar.com.my

KUALA LUMPUR: For love of their husbands, two women donated one kidney each to their ailing spouses.
Their husbands not only received a new lease of life, but also became Malaysia's first patients to successfully undergo kidney transplants despite having incompatible blood groups with their donors.
Filipina Bianca Abdundo said she gave a kidney to 32-year-old Geland Delous Reyes Gonzalodo without hesitation.
“We just got married on April 29. I want to spend many more years with him,” said the 27-year-old when met at the Prince Court Medical Centre (PCMC) here yesterday.
Geland was the first to undergo the transplant at PCMC on July 1, followed by tour guide Lee Leong Kim the next day.
Anything for love: Kidney patients Geland (second from left) and Lee (second from right) at the Prince Court Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, yesterday. With them are their respective wives, Bianca (left) and Hernawati.
“I am a Filipino but I consider myself a Malaysian as I have a second chance at life here,” said Geland, a senior contract engineer.
Lee's wife Hernawati Subli said her husband was definitely worth the sacrifice.

1 comment:

Simon Green said...

What beautiful stories, I wish both couples a long and happy life together, especially my friends, Gel & Bianca!

Simon Green
25-July-2011